What if the renter gets a fine or congestion charge during the hire?

If the car owner receives a notification about a fine related to the rental period, the renter will be responsible to pay for the fine. 

The steps below explain how to proceed with passing on the penalty charge to the rightful driver at their address (you can find the address on the picture of the driving license you have taken at the start of the rental).
1. Locate on one of the pages of the PCN, the option to represent the ticket in the name of the renter (or if no option to do so, contact the issuer for instructions on how to do so). 
2. Fill out the details required for passing on a Penalty Charge Notice in the representation section; including the details of the driver, which you can find on the rental agreement.
3. Remember to put down the address of the renter in order for the issuing office to forward the PCN representation.
4. Attach a copy of the rental agreement as proof that the rental took place at the time the ticket was issued.
5. Send the PCN back to the address of the issuer such as provided on the form of representation (or if possible, scan the documents above and forward these to the given contact address via email).
We kindly ask that you carry out the above mentioned steps before the 14 day deadline to avoid the PCN doubling in amount. If this deadline is missed, owners will take the responsibility for paying any additional fees incurred.
As compensation for the hassle we will transfer £10 to your bank account.
*We advise you to contact the renter about the fine so he/she is aware that has to pay the fee.
**There is no need to contact RideLink again once this document has been sent off, but please do keep evidence of receipt.

If the renter refuses to pay the fee, violating the RideLink policies which he had previously accepted, please advise us by sending an email to and we will charge the amount due and will deposit the money in the car owner's account. 

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 5 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request