What if the renter has an accident?

If there is an incident while a renter is using a RideLink car, the Road Traffic Act 1988 states that the driver has the duty to stop, report the accident and give information or documents.

If, as an owner, the renter is involved in a road-traffic accident with a RideLink car and one or more of the following occurs:

  • anyone (other than the driver) is injured
  • another vehicle or any other property is damaged
  • an animal on the road or in another car is injured (but not an animal in the RideLink vehicle)
  • items such as a street lamp, bollard, road sign or any other normal street ‘furniture’ are damaged

Law states that the driver needs to stop and stay at the scene for a reasonable time.

The renter needs to provide the vehicle registration number, the car owner name and home address and his own name and address to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details. Information about the vehicle and the car owner can be found in the rental agreement.

Where any injury is caused to another person, the renter also needs to provide the certificate of insurance we provide. We advise renters to explain any third party that RideLink insurance should be used in case of a claim (instead of the owner’s car insurance, which is linked to the car’s plate number).

Renters should also report the accident to the appropriate parties: the police if the renter failed to provide details at the accident scene, and to RideLink as soon as possible using our emergency line (both within less than 24 hours from incident). We will obtain the pertinent details from the renter, help them in filing a police report if appropriate, and guide them and the car owner through the incident reporting process.


Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request